Wednesday, April 14, 2010

With Friends Like These Who Needs An Army

Growing up, my mom used to tell me to smile a lot so others would find me approachable. She even teased me that I wouldn’t have a chance of finding a husband if I always look suplada. They might get a little intimidated, she added.

But I wasn’t a snob, I was just an introvert that’s why I don’t speak to others the first time I’m with them. Moreso, I didn’t like being rejected so I had the tendency to not make the first move. I only learned the art of reaching out during my college years. I had friends everywhere. In and out of my alma mater, around our neighborhood, meet-up friends, even online ones. I can say that I’ve been with people from all walks of life.
And I loved it!

Life, with its many unavoidable shits, happens. I lost contact with some of them. Also, I moved here in Cali (and I must admit I was bad with keeping in touch). Nevertheless, the best of the best ones remain close to me. I started evaluating myself with how I connect with others. That’s when I realize that the quality of friendship is more important than tally numbers.

Today, I’m not back to my suplada self (though my friends chime I look like one!), but I tend to screen who I could build strong relationships with before taking the plunge. I began opening myself up again and to my surprise, I’ve established wonderful bond with a few genuine people. I reckon that I don’t have to fear rejection because true friends would allow me to grow yet accept the whole me (including my scars and blemishes, my unpredictable moods, my topak etc). I guess it also comes with maturity that I’m able to separate those who were just mere acquaintances.

I’m so blessed to belong to an amazing set now.
I know.


3 comments:

  1. Lagi kong sinasabi dati na una na kitang nakilala ng personal at nakatambay nang minsan bago pa tayo magreconnect sa Xanga. Kahit na di ako kabilang sa mga close friends mo talaga, you're still the sweetest. :) Naalala ko kung paano ka magcomment sa mga kwento ko tungkol sa mga ex ko. Haha. At ramdam ko ang saya mo kapag inlove ako. At dahil dyan, alam kong may koneksyon tayo. :)

    Follow kitaaaaaa! Blogspot naman ang iinvade natin! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! salamat grasya! kung tutuusin mas nauna pa kita makilala kesa sa xanga. at nakakatuwa na magkakilala pa din tayo hanggang ngayon. =) yes, let's invade blogspot! haha. at dahil inlab ka pa din ngayon, masayang-masaya ako para sayo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sis! hinde ako marunong mag 'follow'.. but i have your site bookmarked already. :P

    ReplyDelete