Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thank God For Bagot Films II - 'Whatever Works'

Woody does NOT disappoint!

Whatever Works is the latest serving of Mr. Allen and of course, I had to check it out. (Mind you, it took me months before I decided to pop it on my dvd player. I don’t watch bagot films if I’m not in the mood.) Anyway, it’s a light comedy full big word on the dialogues. The funny thing is, you could actually understand the context of all of them. I like the transformation of Boris’ character -- so smoothly executed. He was this pessimistic genius (almost ‘nominated’ for a Nobel prize) who happen to have something (negative!) to say about anything and everything. Then at the end, he had this open mind (though not completely reformed) that knows how to relate and listen to others, and doesn’t isolate himself anymore. The supporting roles also did a great job into mixing and matching with every scene.

This movie may not be as complicated as Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Match Point, nor it’s not as intense as Cassandra’s Dream. But it has the element of surprise (when Boris attempted his second failed suicide by jumping off his windows, only he landed on top of his supposed match/partner) which I find very admirable in all Woody’s films.

Four-in-a-row of movies written and directed by him, consider me a fanatic. Seriously.

3 comments:

  1. movie marathon huh?! miss reading your entries! if it weren't for u and nina i wouldn't have found out that i have a blogspot account. still finding myself around here...i got so used to xanga hehehe...separation anxiety nga. but would definitely drop by here more often. so happy for u sis! regards to the mister. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, happy birthday. Happy birthday to you. Get it now? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @marie, haha separation anxiety! i experienced it for a while but i think i needed to move on. kaya eto, bagong bahay. :)

    @myk, yes! i had it explained to me by my friend. really loved the movie. galing ni woody eh!

    ReplyDelete