Monday, April 19, 2010

Thank God For Bagot Films I - 'The Pianist' and 'Brokeback Mountain'


(Yes, this is part 1 because I'm determined to include more movie reviews here. 'Bagot' was coined by one of my friends because according to him my film choice is more on the boring side!)

Don’t you just love those films with thought provoking climax, those that are slow-paced but have a very enigmatic plot? Well, I happen to be so into them! I enjoy indie movies more than mainstream ones. For example, chick flicks (they’re different from matured romance films, ok!). I don’t have anything against them, I'd have them once in a while but I don’t prefer them given the choice. I don’t like the fact they only have two predictable endings – either the two main characters would have their happy ever after or not. (Same for action movies, either the hero would kill all the villains or otherwise.)

Last week I thought I’d research Oscar’s Best Picture winners and nominees. I think they’re credible and seem consistent with giving this award. I already watched as much as I can during these past 3 years; I researched older ones though and I viewed a couple last Saturday.

The first one was ‘The Pianist’ – based on true-life accounts of a musician on a World War II setting. Actually, it was very interesting. The movie was all about survival of the main character only it was beautifully depicted (and acted by A. Brody). And I think that’s one factor that sets a good movie apart from mediocre ones – its ‘believable/heart-wrenching factor’. Then next was ‘Brokeback Mountain’, which I wasn’t so crazy about. The acting was highly commendable (props to Jake and Heath) but it didn’t show enough interactions with the other casts. The dialogues were well put but I believe the storyline lacked luster. I wanted to see more dynamics but I failed. Jake's death was genius, not the usual shot-to-death or sick-then-died scene. I’m glad I watched it, though. At least I’m done and over with the curiosity element of the said movie.

I’m just happy that the mister is putting up with my latest amazement. He claims he understands my fondness of films, now. I reckon that his patience would be challenged if he needs to sit through a two-three hour movie but I guess he loves me that much that he’s willing to see whatever bagot film I want! (Yep, even gay-plotted ones.)

No comments:

Post a Comment