Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wedding Day Musings II - That Mission Church

Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala – that quaint white church protruding on the hill; the oldest of the entire Dominican-founded missions in California. I had my first encounter of this church sometime in 2007, even before I met Vince. I told myself with certainty; “this is where I’m going to get married”.

It’s small, with no stained glass, no shiny altar, and no crystal chandelier. I fell in love with its ancient looks, intimate/solemn feel, and its dramatic lighting; quite rich in history, with brick floors, wooden carved doors, and hand-painted walls - to me it’s just so perfect.

We were worried that we won’t be able to reserve this venue due to time constraint but the Lord heard my plea.

Our ceremony was held at 10 o’clock in the morning (yes, that early!). It was so rainy; the streets are wet and the traffic was a little congested. Nevertheless, our guests were already anticipating for us and we’re still on time. Shortly after, the procession started.

There was a brief pause then came my turn. Because it was pouring so hard, my dream of entering the doors as it swing wide open to the tune of my bridal march didn’t materialize. Though, something even better happened.

I walked from the side (where they hid me inside the cozy confessional), with the wind blowing my veil softly and delicately as I moved through the center for the aisle – (I know) it was surreal. It gave me goosebumps of sheer delight. My feet began to step rhythmically to the piano notes of Ate Reg’s “Pangarap ko Ang Ibigin Ka” – my dream piece! Unlike most brides that get nervous during their entrance, all I sensed that instant was pure serenity. Everything around me faded as I rummaged around for that one familiar face.


And there he was, waiting with his welcoming wide smile, my beloved groom.

1 comment:

  1. your writing never cease to amaze me.. :) im happy for you sis! :)

    ReplyDelete