Monday, May 23, 2011

Food Blog Entry #2 - Moules Au Champignon

I never wanted to try French cuisine. I told myself that if I couldn’t pronounced the name of a dish I won’t eat it. I ate my words as usual.

My brother and I went to this local French bistro called Bleu Boheme for lunch. He ordered Coc Au Vin (braised chicken) while I got Boeuf Bourguignon (braised beef). For appetizer we had this Moules Au Champignon. It's just mussels in cream sauce, but it is to die for! (Especially when you have a newly-baked bread for dipping! Yum!) Anyway, my mom always cooks mussels but it is the Filipino way of cooking it. – soup based, Tinola-like. This one was exceptional, very savory because of the herbs and white wine used to sauté it.

And so the search for the recipe began. Fortunately, I found one close enough for this bistro to have a run for their money (of course, I modified it). ;] The mister was impressed, so was I.



Ingredients:
1/2-1 lb mussel (cleaned)
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. cooking oil
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 pcs. salami (bacon can be used, just drain the fats when sautéed)
1 tsp. thyme, rosemary, oregano or mixed herbs
1/2-1 cup dry white wine (I used blanc de blanc, chardonnay would be fine too.)
1/2 pint heavy cream
1 tbsp. Flour
2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 onion (to taste)
Chopped parsley
Pinch salt
Pinch pepper

Directions
In a skillet, put a little bit of oil. Throw in fresh mushrooms, garlic, onion, and salami; sauté. Then put the mussels. Add wine. Reduce until almost gone. Add the mixed herbs, salt, and pepper. Put in heavy cream. Reduce until thick. In separate skillet mix butter and flour, mix and brown. Add to cream sauce. Whisk it until thick. Use chopped parsley to garnish dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment